Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Michael Jackson - "She's Out of My Life" (1980)

I had practically forgotten about this song but I wrote about it in my old diary journals from 1986 after a girl I dated (Anne Alberti) did something rude to me. I wanted to deliver a Christmas gift to her and she asked me 'NOT TO COME TO HER HOUSE' because she was expecting someone else (another boyfriend). And so, this song was so pertinent for me 'at the time'. "She's Out of My Life" is a song written by musical artist Tom Bahler. Although it has been claimed that Bahler wrote the song about Karen Carpenter, Bahler stated, "The fact is, I had already written that song by the time Karen and I became romantic. That song was written more about Rhonda Rivera. Rhonda and I had been together for two years, and it was after we broke up that I started dating Karen." The song has been recorded by a variety of artists, including: Michael Jackson, Patti LaBelle, Ginuwine, 98°, Jon Lee, Barbara Mandrell, Nina, Willie Nelson, Josh Groban and Karel Gott (Czech Album: I Love You For Sentimental Reasons, performed in English). The song became famous as the fourth single to be released by singer Michael Jackson from his successful Off the Wall album in 1979. It was the first time a solo artist had achieved four top ten hits from one album. Unlike the album's previous singles (which were all dance-oriented funk/disco songs), the "She's Out of My Life" song was an emotional ballad. Jackson's vocals on the record were considered by critics to be some of his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment