Friday, April 15, 2011

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (1984)

Last night I was invited to a very dull screening of a movie called Meek's Cuttoff (a 2010 film starring Michelle Williams) at the Film Forum in NYC.  Ten minutes into the film I thought of this song title because that is how I felt (Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now). What a terrible, slow-moving movie with a very poor ending. 

This "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" tune reached #10 for THE SMITHS on the UK singles charts in 1984. It is actually listed as one of the Rock & Roll HALL OF FAME's 500 songs that shaped Rock & Roll. THE SMITHS, of course, were an English alternative rock band, formed in Manchester in 1982. Based on the songwriting partnership of Morrissey (vocals) and Johnny Marr (guitar), the band also included Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums). Critics have called them the most important alternative rock band to emerge from the British independent music scene of the 1980s.

No comments:

Post a Comment