Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Babys - "Everytime I Think of You" (1979)

"Every Time I Think of You" is a the title of a song written by Jack Conrad and Ray Kennedy which was a Top 20 hit single for the Babys in 1979.


Released as the lead single from the Head First album in January 1979, "Every Time I Think of You" ascended to a Billboard Hot 100 peak of #13 that April. The Babys' previous Top 40 hit "Isn't It Time" had also peaked at #13; like "Isn't It Time" - which was also a Jack Conrad/Ray Kennedy composition - "Every Time I Think of You" augmented the vocal of Babys' frontman John Waite with prominent female vocals: whereas "Isn't It Time" had featured a female chorale, "Every Time I Think of You" featured a vocal solo by Annie Bertucci. Jimmie Haskell arranged and conducted the string section heard on the track.


"Every Time I Think of You" rose as high as #8 on the Cashbox Top 100 Singles chart - that chart's only Top 30 showing for the Babys, "Isn't It Time" having peaked there at #38. "Every Time I Think of You" afforded the Babys a hit in Australia, Canada and the Netherlands with respective peaks of #6, #8 and #11; the track also reached #41 in New Zealand.


The track which had served as B-side to "Every Time I Think of You": "Head First", was issued as the A-side of the Babys' next single with another track from the Head First album: "California", as B-side. The "Head First" single peaked at #77 on the Billboard Hot 100. The Babys would have a third and final Top 40 charting in 1980 with "Back on My Feet Again" (#33).


A #11 hit on Belgium's Flemish charts via a 2000 a remake by Get Ready!, "Every Time I Think of You" was remade in 2006 by Marco Borsato and Lucie Silvas whose version - with the spelling adjusted to "Everytime I Think of You" - was released for download 2 October 2006 to chart on the Dutch Top 40 dated 7 October 2006 at #35; released as a CD single on 6 October 2006 the track was #1 in the Netherlands for the week of 14 October 2006 remaining at #1 for three subsequent weeks. A hit on Belgium's Flemish charts at #5, "Everytime I Think of You" was added to the track listing of Lucie Silvas' album The Same Side for its release in the Netherlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment